Spruce Grove Composite High School’s (SGCHS) vision is Building Excellence and Success Together. Our students are set up to succeed while they are in school and are prepared for life after graduation - so they can live their BEST life. Program choices rival those of the larger urban high schools and challenge students at their level. We provide personalized academic programing that provides students with the flexibility to learn any time, any place and any pace.
B.E.S.T.: Building Excellence & Success Together
We offer a full range of complementary career and technology courses, including:
Our Modern Languages / Fine Arts offerings include:
With so many choices, how do students get into the classes they want? They register for the courses they want, and the school builds its timetable around those choices.
- Live the motto “Do Well What You Do” - they are the BEST versions of themselves.
- Achieve recognition through Rutherford Scholarships, post secondary acceptance, scholarships, awards and course completion rates.
- Demonstrate citizenship values of excellence, dedication, integrity, courtesy, enthusiasm, commitment, cooperation, respect, leadership and loyalty.
Helping All Students Succeed
We are all unique. As one of the original High School Redesign schools, we recognize that each student approaches learning in different ways. SGCHS staff members are able to adapt learning to meet students' individual needs, providing support while choosing a wide variety of pathways to pave their futures.
High School Redesign focuses on:
- Self directed learners
- Critical thinkers as opposed to passive students
- Curriculum facilitators instead of teacher-centered educators
- Multimedia developers versus paper and test writers
- Engaged student contributors as opposed to disengaged observers
- Diverse & inclusive learning environment
Students, Parents and Educators - The Key to Success
Success involves a close partnership with all those who can strongly influence and support the outcome. While students take accountability for their own learning, they also have the full support of the different educators and their parents/guardians in achieving goals. The focus is on learning that meets the diverse needs and different strengths of each student. A strong partnership with the community provides real life opportunities that bring meaning to the curriculum or world of work.
What Students, Parents and Community Members Say About Our School
Students and parents have often commented about the importance of Seminar Time and Personalized Learning Time in helping all students to be successful.
Student, parent and community responses to our Accountability Pillar and ThoughtExchange Survey express gratitude for the “High Quality Teaching and Learning at SGCHS”, and also for the excellent results achieved for 3-year high school completion and the low dropout rate in comparison to the province. Students feel they have a wide selection of courses to choose from, and that their teachers truly care about their success and are always willing to help them improve.
Additional Curricular and Extracurricular Programs
- Student Exchange Programs
- International trips
- Registered Apprenticeship Program
- Work Experience Placements
- Inreach Program
- A wide variety of programs and clubs, as well as a full range of sports programs:
- Cross Country
- Drama Productions
- Dungeons & Dragons Club
- GSA (Gay Straight Alliance)
- Interact Club
- NIHON (Japanese Club)
- Student Union
- Track and Field
Our goal is to improve student behavioural, cognitive and emotional engagement.
What Makes Us Proud
- The high number of students who are academically successful and graduate
- Delivering a high level of academic success and learning opportunities for each student
- Developing in students the skills and attitudes that are essential for preparing them for post secondary and the world of work
- Being a safe, caring school that fosters a positive attitude towards learning and relationships
- Being proactive and visionary
- Being on the leading edge of technology, programming, student success, professional learning communities, and assessment for and of learning through a creative and innovative approach to High School Redesign
For more information contact:
Spruce Grove Composite High School